Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Taneycomo 12/29 - 12/30 "10 Reasons I hate the SWPA"

Photobucket
After fishing Crane Creek all day on Tuesday I made the short drive over to Kimberling City and set up base camp on the boat for a couple nights to fish Taneycomo.
Photobucket
I had hopes of sight fishing to some big rainbows up in the trophy area, but , as seems to be the case lately , everytime I decide to fish a tailwater the powers that be take it upon themselves to generate around the clock. Of course that's not what they had on their predicted generation chart , that'd be too damn convenient for us fishermen!
Photobucket
Nevertheless I had a couple days to kill, and the around the clock generation was varying between a moderate and heavy two units so at least it was still fisheable. I switched up tactics and focused on the edges and back eddies mostly, fishing a two fly setup of either a soft-shell scud and g-bug or an egg pattern followed by a g-bug.
Photobucket
It ended up that the egg and a wine/purple g-bug were the best producing tandem for the weekend. I fished the South side of the island when generation allowed me to cross over and actually caught a half dozen small rainbows in a back eddy below the island on a griffiths gnat the first morning while waiting on the water to drop.
Photobucket
When the water was up over 606.5 I spent most of my time walking the bank between outlets #1 and #2. While I would have liked to fish some other areas the holiday crowd was still in full swing and that section seemed to be the most open for some reason.
Photobucket
Fishing was actually pretty good all things considered , I didn't catch anything over 18" but some nice healthy bows were landed.
Photobucket
Once I found the fish and figured out what they wanted I was catching pretty regularly , I have to admit I was dissapointed not to get any water off conditions in my two day stay but that's life with the SWPA.
The weather was beautiful for late December and a few Taney bows were landed to finish off the 2010 fishing season. There's been some great trips with some good friends....heres hoping that 2011 brings even bigger fish to hand.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment